Thank you for working with us as Jordan School District prepares to reopen schools with in-person and virtual online learning.
As we bring students, teachers and staff back into our schools and buildings, we want you to be aware the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has defined individuals who may be at higher risk for contracting COVID-19.
Everyone is at risk for getting COVID-19 if they are exposed to the virus. While students have been less affected by COVID-19 compared to adults, students with certain conditions may be at increased risk for severe illness.
According to the CDC, children who are medically complex, who have serious genetic, neurologic, metabolic disorders, and with congenital (since birth) heart disease might be at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19.
Other at-risk factors or underlying medical conditions may include:
- Chronic kidney disease
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Immunocompromised (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant
- Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 or higher)
- Serious heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies
- Sickle cell disease
- Type 2 diabetes
Based on what we know now, people with the following health conditions might be at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19:
- Asthma (moderate to severe)
- Cerebrovascular disease (a disease which affects blood vessels and blood supply to the brain)
- Cystic fibrosis
- Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV/ • AIDS, use of corticosteroids, or use of other immune weakening medicines
- High blood pressure or hypertension
- Liver disease
- Neurologic conditions such as dementia
- Pulmonary fibrosis (having damaged or scarred lung tissues)
- Sickle cell disease
- Thalassemia (a type of blood disorder)
- Type 1 diabetes
If your student is not in any of the categories listed above no further action is required.
If any of the above conditions listed above describe your child please indicate by logging into Skyward Family Access at https://skystu.jordan.k12.ut.us/ and completing the “Online Form”.